The Toronto Independent Music Awards (TIMA) is an annual award ceremony and showcase for bands from the Province of Ontario. TIMAs also have a Best USA, Best International, and Best Out-of-Province category. Now on its 14th season, TIMA has become the platform for independent musicians to network, attain tools for success and be discovered.
All categories* we award can be found here: http://www.torontoima.com/submissioncategories
*we reserve the right to remove or add categories.
Toronto Independent Music Awards winners will be selected based on their songs submitted without regard to recording quality, fan base, industry affiliation or sales history.
1b. Application Process:
1b1. BAND OR MUSICIAN LOCATION REQUIREMENTS:
BANDS OR MUSICIANS FROM THE PROVINCE OF ONTARIO:
- If you are an independent* musician or band from the Province of Ontario you are eligible for ALL CATEGORIES to which we find your music to be applicable and you are permitted to submit 1 (one) application of 2 (two) songs for the genre categories without an application fee.
- If you are eighteen (19) years old or younger at the time of recording the song you are submitting and you are an independent musician or band from the Province of Ontario you are eligible for “Best Young Songwriter”.
BANDS OR MUSICIANS FROM ANOTHER PROVINCE IN CANADA:
- If you are an independent* musician or band from a Province outside of Ontario, you are ONLY eligible for “Best Out-of-Province.”
BANDS OR MUSICIANS FROM THE UNITED STATES:
- If you are an independent* musician or band from the United States, you are ONLY eligible for “Best USA.”
BANDS OR MUSICIANS FROM OUTSIDE UNITED STATES AND CANADA:
- If you are an independent* musician or band from outside the United States and Canada, you are ONLY eligible for “Best International” or “Best USA” if we are considering international and USA applications in the year(s) you apply. If we are not, your submission will be refunded.
1b3. APPLICATION FEE FOR GENRE CATEGORIES AND PERFORMANCE
- One genre material entry permits you to upload two (2) songs for consideration. Your music is eligible for all categories we find it applicable. Each entry is free for bands from the province of Ontario, Canada, and otherwise subject to the fee of $30.00 CND.
- One performance entry permits you to be considered to perform live at the Toronto Independent Music Awards Gala for a fee of $30.00 CND.
1c. Independent Definition
“Independent” means you are Canadian owned and operated and have no affiliation to a multinational label, with the exception of a distribution deal.
1d. Canadian Owned and Operated Definition
“Canadian owned and operated” means the musician must be a Canadian landed immigrant or Canadian citizen. For bands, 50% of the members must be Canadian citizens.
1e. Province of Ontario definition
“From the Province of Ontario” means Ontario, Canada is your true, fixed permanent home and principal place of establishment to which you intend to return whenever you are absent therefrom.
1f. Additional Interpretations.
Any additional interpretations of the rules shall be at the sole discretion of the Toronto Independent Music Awards. All rulings are final.
- Jury Process:
2a. The Jury
Jurors are selected from across the nation and must have at least one of the following qualifications:
- At least 5 years of experience in the music industry in an executive position.
- A degree in sound engineering, or a graduate degree in music or music history.
- At least 5 years experience as a music journalist or broadcaster with an established print or online magazine.
- A recording artist with national or international accreditation.
2b. Judging for Genre Material categories:
Group 1 is comprised of three (3) to five (5) judges who are responsible for distilling the pool of applications to a maximum of 10 potential nominees per genre category. The top scoring artists in their respective genres determined by Group 1 are the nominees. Each judge must review the songs independent of each other and may only consider the song recording.
Group 2 is our “Grand Jury” comprised of a maximum 20 (twenty) judges. When judges are selected, they indicate which 3 genres they feel they are proficient in and the judges are assigned to each genre category. Each judge independently reviews the up to 10 potential nominees selected by Group 1. The top scoring artists in their respective genre are the winners. The overall top scoring artist is the winner of “Best Song” (grand prize winner). The 2nd and 3rd top scoring artist may also receive a prize. Check the prize page.
2c. Scoring for Genre Material categories:
Each song can be given up to fifty (50) points. Judges must adhere to the provided criterion, and may score the musician up to (10) points in each of the following categories:
v. Hook (Addiction Factor).
2d. Conflict of Interest:
- If any jury member recognizes the song or musician that they are assigned or submits any musician or band for consideration, they must abstain from judging the musician or band and disclose the conflict to the Toronto Independent Music Awards immediately. Lack of disclosure will result in a termination of their scorecards and permanent disqualification from the jury.
2e. Live Performance:
3. Toronto Independent Music Awards winners:
Toronto Independent Music Awards winners will be announced September, October or November, 2018 (tentative).